Alexander S. Trukhtanov is a senior counsel at Akin Gump’s Moscow office. He is primarily involved in mergers and acquisitions, project and corporate finance, international commercial arbitration and commercial litigation.
In 2016 Alexander became entitled to exercise rights of audience in civil matters before the higher courts of England and Wales and recognized as Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings). Also Mr. Trukhtanov is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Trukhtanov worked at a major international firm in Moscow and, from 2001 to 2006, at a leading international firm in London.
Mr. Trukhtanov’s engagements include:
- Negotiating and documenting a US$1.8 bn acquisition by a Russian oil major of an equity interest in a South European refinery with an associated put option for the balance of the equity
- Representing a Russian oil major in a competitive bid for the acquisition of a substantial equity interest in a North European refinery; negotiating and documenting the US$600m acquisition by way of a back-to-back sale by the other shareholder in the refinery following a pre-funded exercise of the right of preemption over the interest triggered by the intended sale to the successful bidder
- Negotiating and documenting a US$1.6bn buy-out by a Russian oil major of an equity interest held by a UK oil major in an upstream joint venture on terms of secured deferred payment
- Representing claimants in LCIA arbitration proceedings for the recovery of damages for repudiation of a US$1.087bn share acquisition contract
- Defending claims arising out of business dealings between high net worth individuals and their corporate vehicles involving allegations of fraud, dishonesty, conspiracy, economic duress, unfair advantage and breach of contract; negotiating, documenting and implementing a US$65m settlement; representing defendant in LCIA arbitration proceedings for the recovery of the settlement debt;
- Representing claimants in LCIA arbitration proceedings for the recovery of US$16m debt under a loan agreement
- Representing defendant (and claimant in a cross-claim) in LCIA arbitration proceedings under the terms of a US$15.5m convertible loan agreement
- Representing claimants in London ad hoc arbitration proceedings under the UNCITRAL Rules and advising on the strategy of actions across multiple jurisdictions for the prevention of conversion and for the recovery in specie of a consignment of converted oil
- Representing defendant in ICAC (Moscow) arbitration proceedings defending a US$8.5m loan recovery claim and making an unjust enrichment counterclaim
- Giving expert evidence of English law before Russian courts on multiple occasions