Alexey L. Kondratchik’s practice focuses on the representation of public and private entities in international business projects, particularly in the energy sector. He has extensive experience in corporate projects, business transactions and foreign investment projects in Russia and other CIS countries.
Practice & Background
Before joining Akin Gump as a partner, Mr. Kondratchik worked as an associate and counsel in the Moscow offices of a large American and a major international law firm.
Mr. Kondratchik’s engagements include:
- LUKOIL International Finance B.V. PJSC "LUKOIL": Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $1 billion, 10 year 4.750% notes by LUKOIL International Finance B.V. and guaranteed by PJSC "LUKOIL"
- representation of a major Russian oil corporation in connection with the acquisition of 100% interest in a leading Russian regional oil company for $2.05 billion from a large U.S.-based integrated oil company
- representation of a major Russian oil corporation in connection with the formation and structuring of a joint venture with another Russian oil company for an oil and gas exploration and production project in the northern part of Russia
- representation of a major Russian oil corporation in connection with negotiation of the terms, structuring and establishment of a joint enterprise for the realization of a joint offshore project with a major Kazakhstan oil company
- representation of a major Russian oil corporation in connection with the proposed sale of vessels to an international shipping company
- representation of a Russian telecommunication investment unit of a large Russian holding group in connection with the acquisition of the controlling share in a major Russian telecommunication company
- representation of a Russian media unit of a large Russian holding group in connection with combination of assets and formation of a joint venture with a Russian media holding group
- representation of a large Russian holding group in a multistage project involving acquisition of Russian major ore mining and processing enterprises, subsequent restructuring of the formed group and debt financing of the same by major Russian banks
- representation of an independent Russia/CIS-oriented energy group in an acquisition of several Russian oil producing companies operating in Sakhalin, Central Russia and Timan-Pechora region, followed by the listing of the group at LSE AIM
- providing advice and consultations to a major German petroleum and chemical corporation in connection with its participation in a joint venture with the major Russian gas producer
- representation of an oil production unit of a major Russian holding group in connection with negotiation of the terms, structuring and establishment of a joint enterprise with the Japanese Oil Gas and Metals National Corporation for oil exploration and production operations in the Eastern Siberia
- representation of the government of a former Soviet republic in the proposed Trans-Caspian (Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan-Georgia-Turkey) gas pipeline project
- representation of the major Finnish energy company in connection with its joint venture with one of the major Russian oil companies, including structuring of debt and equity financing of the joint enterprise, subsoil licensing and corporate matters
- representation of one of the largest Russian oil companies and the major Finnish energy company as sponsors in a $200 million syndicated loan financing of an energy project in the Russian Federation, a transaction that was named “European Oil & Gas Deal of the Year” by Project Finance magazine.
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers 2017-2018 – ranked among top Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions lawyers in Russia
- The Best Lawyers 2014 – named “Lawyer of the Year” in Corporate Law
- Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2016 – ranked for Corporate/M&A work
- Chambers Europe 2017 and Chambers Global 2017 – ranked for “Energy & Natural Resources”. Sources say that the “regulatory framework is sophisticated and he is a guru.” Another client highlights his “excellent industry knowledge, profound expertise in the Russian law and strong ability to provide efficient legal advice.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2017 - ranked for “Energy & Natural Resources” work.