Alice Hsu’s practice focuses on capital markets and corporate governance matters, with particular expertise in the energy and financial services industries. Ms. Hsu advises boards of directors, issuers, underwriters and investors in a broad range of transactions, including public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities, public mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters. She also has expertise advising clients on structuring and investing in special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs).
Practice & Background
Ms. Hsu is a strategic advisor to boards of directors, investors, underwriters and emerging growth and seasoned public companies on a wide variety of matters relating to equity and debt offerings, securities regulation, corporate governance and other general corporate matters. Ms. Hsu also regularly counsels companies regarding SEC reporting and disclosure issues, stockholder meetings, proxy statements and proxy mechanics, as well as advises public companies with respect to defensive review matters, including implementation of shareholders rights plans and related matters.
Ms. Hsu is the co-head of the firm's social media task force and a member of the New York office’s hiring committee.
Ms. Hsu’s recent representations include advising:
- issuers, investors and underwriters in connection with initial public offerings, including special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs), follow-on primary and secondary offerings, and block trades
- issuers and investors in both public and private offerings of more than $6 billion secured and unsecured long-term debt securities
- companies with respect to net operating loss charter restriction and 382 rights plans
- issuers in connection with cash tender offers of more than $1.5 billion of notes
- conduit borrowers in the issuance, refunding and remarketing of over $2 billion of pollution control and other tax-exempt debt, including auction rate securities and variable rate demand bonds
- borrowers in connection with the refinancing and restructuring of over $3 billion of syndicated bank facilities
- a public utility company in a public merger valued at approximately $8.5 billion
- the lessee and parent guarantor of over $1 billion of 144A pass-through trust certificates relating to the financing of the sale and leaseback of a coal-fired power plant
Ms. Hsu is a member of the Minority Corporate Counsel Association’s Next Generation Advisory Board and is co-chair of the Corporate Leadership Committee for the New York Women’s Foundation.
Awards & Accolades
- Named a 2014 “Rising Star” by the New York Law Journal
- Selected for 2018 Transforming Women’s Leadership in the Law (TWLL) Rising Star Cohort
- Panelist at post-screening discussion following New York City premiere of And Then They Came for Us, March 20, 2018
- Panelist at Minority Corporate Counsel Association Pathways Diversity Conference, October 2, 2017
- Panelist at South Asian Bar Association of North America 2017 Annual Convention, July 14, 2017
- Moderator at Collaborative Bar Leadership Academy, “Engaging Allies” panel, June 26, 2017
- “Shareholder Law Update and Trends 2014,” Delaware Valley Association of Corporate Counsel 6th Annual In-House Counsel Conference, April 3, 2014
- Akin Gump New York hosted a CLE for In-house Counsel titled “Social Media: the Securities Law and Disclosure,” October 2013
- Akin Gump New York hosted a CLE for In-house Counsel titled “The SEC’s New Whistleblower Rules: Is Your Client Ready?“