Alice Hsu’s practice focuses on capital markets and corporate governance matters. Ms. Hsu advises boards of directors, issuers, underwriters and investors in public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities and general corporate matters.
Practice & Background
Ms. Hsu is a strategic advisor to boards of directors, investors, underwriters and emerging growth and seasoned public companies on a wide variety of matters relating to securities regulation, corporate governance and other general corporate matters. Ms. Hsu also regularly counsels companies regarding SEC reporting and disclosure issues, stockholder meetings, proxy statements and proxy mechanics, as well as advises public companies with respect to defensive review matters, including implementation of shareholders rights plans and related matters.
Ms. Hsu is the co-head of the firm's social media task force and a member of the New York office’s hiring committee.
Ms. Hsu’s recent representations include advising:
- issuers and investors in both public and private offerings of more than $6 billion secured and unsecured long-term debt securities
- issuers, investors and underwriters in connection with initial public offerings, including special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs), follow-on primary and secondary offerings, and block trades
- issuers in connection with cash tender offers of more than $1.5 billion of notes
- second lien holders in a Chapter 11 restructuring
- conduit borrowers in the issuance, refunding and remarketing of over $2 billion of pollution control and other tax-exempt debt, including auction rate securities and variable rate demand bonds
- borrowers in connection with the refinancing and restructuring of over $3 billion of syndicated bank facilities
- a public utility company in a public merger valued at approximately $8.5 billion
- the lessee and parent guarantor of over $1 billion of 144A pass-through trust certificates relating to the financing of the sale and leaseback of a coal-fired power plant
Ms. Hsu is co-chair of the Corporate Leadership Committee for the New York Women’s Foundation, and is a member of the Minority Corporate Counsel Association’s Next Generation Advisory Board.
Awards & Accolades
Named a 2014 “Rising Star” by the New York Law Journal
- “Shareholder Law Update and Trends 2014,” Delaware Valley Association of Corporate Counsel 6th Annual In-House Counsel Conference, April 3, 2014
- Akin Gump New York hosted a CLE for In-house Counsel titled “Social Media: the Securities Law and Disclosure,” October 2013
- Akin Gump New York hosted a CLE for In-house Counsel titled “The SEC’s New Whistleblower Rules: Is Your Client Ready?“
- Practicing Attorneys for Law Students Program – 2012 Hiring and Interview Skills Panel, August 2, 2012