Allison S. Papadopoulos’ practice focuses on labor and employment matters.
Practice & Background
Allison Papadopoulos’ practice covers a host of labor and employment matters, with a significant focus on class and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and counterpart state wage and hour laws. She regularly advises clients on claims surrounding employee classification, joint employment, meal periods and rest breaks, “off the clock” work, and other wage and hour issues that affect employers.
Ms. Papadopoulos also represents clients in employment discrimination litigation as well as labor management and union negotiation matters. Additionally, Ms. Papadopoulos routinely counsels her clients, including Fortune 500 companies in the retail, hospitality, insurance, and energy industries on workplace compliance with federal and state legislation, regulatory guidance, and relevant judicial precedent.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Ms. Papadopoulos was a law clerk in the office of the Honorable Mary Ellen Coster Williams, U.S. Court of Federal Claims, as well as the Montgomery County, Maryland Office of the Public Defender. She also served as a legal intern for the U.S. Department of Justice, and was a paralegal in Akin Gump’s labor and employment practice prior to attending law school.
Ms. Papadopoulos received her J.D. from The Catholic University of America, Columbus Law School, magna cum laude, where she was a member of The Catholic University Law Review and National Champion of the 2013 National Ethics Trial Competition. She earned her B.A. in Psychology from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Ms. Papadopoulos was a member of Akin Gump’s 2012 summer associate class.
Ms. Papadopoulos’ experience includes:
- successfully represented a sports company in arbitration over an employee discharge, including obtaining an award denying the grievance in its entirety
- representing a major retailer in a complex wage and hour suit alleging multiple California law violations for a potential class of thousands of current and former employees
- defending a large hospitality company in various class and collective actions alleging misclassification and violations of federal and state wage and hour laws
- advising clients in the hospitality and energy industries in labor negotiations, union avoidance strategies, and defense against unfair labor practice charges
- defending a major retailer in a putative nation-wide FLSA collective action alleging failure to pay hourly supervisors for work-related tasks performed off-hours
Awards & Accolades
- Akin Gump’s labor and employment practice named as Law360 Employment Practice Group of the Year four times in the past seven years, including in 2009, 2013, 2015 and 2016.
- Panelist, “Signed. Sealed. Delivered. Are You Ready for DOL’s Overtime Regulations Under FLSA?,” The Knowledge Group (October 26, 2016)
- Panelist, “Unveiling The Changes to Federal Overtime Exemption Rules,” The Knowledge Group (May 25, 2016).