Practice & Background
Anne-Marie Godfrey has extensive experience advising investment managers throughout Asia on the establishment and regulation of hedge funds, private equity funds and retail funds. She advises investment managers and advisers, fund administrators, trustees and other fund service providers on investment fund-related issues.
Ms. Godfrey advises extensively on European regulatory issues (including AIFMD) and obtains SFC authorization for UCITS funds for distribution to the retail public in Hong Kong. She has also advised on the listing of investment funds on the Irish stock exchange and on the London Alternative Investment Market and advises extensively on prime brokerage agreements, ISDA master agreements, netting agreements and credit support documentation, as well as listed futures and options agreements and other documentation relation to derivative instruments. Ms. Godfrey has advised extensively on the acquisition of fund management companies and on seed agreements.
Ms. Godfrey is recognized as a leading lawyer for funds and investment management in Chambers Asia, IFLR1000 (Asia-Pacific) and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. In Chambers Asia 2017 Ms. Godfrey is a listed as a notable practitioner for her hedge fund work and she is described by clients as “punctual, accurate and impressive.” The previous year (2016) in the same publication, she is noted as “very accessible and very responsive." Chambers Global 2016 quote clients who pay tribute, both to her “very hard work in the client’s interest” and her technical excellence, one interviewee commented: “Everyone is uniform in their praise for her: she’s a real fund formation person.” In Chambers Asia, 2015 clients comments that she “works hard and late, with a focus and intensity that shines through in terms of the quality of work she does” and “is in touch with the pulse of the industry and in contact with the key people.”
“The editors of Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2017 note the ‘excellent’ and ‘highly proactive’ team which ‘goes the extra mile’, and includes Anne-Marie Godfrey, who is ‘business savvy’ and ‘knows the funds world inside out’. In 2016, in the same publication, she is praised for being ‘proactive’, ‘commercial’ and ‘practical’ with credibility in US and Hong Kong regulatory matters, and a reputation for Asian hedge fund work and a sizeable component of investor work.
Ms. Godfrey was recognized in 2017 by the IFLR1000 as a Leading Lawyer who works across the region in the formation of hedge funds, private equity funds and retail funds. She was also recognized by the Hedge Fund Journal in 2015 as one of the 50 Leading Women in Hedge Funds globally and was awarded the “Best in Banking and Finance” award at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards in the same year. She was shortlisted for the “Best in Banking and Finance” award in 2016.
Ms. Godfrey has published numerous articles and speaks regularly on funds-related topics at industry conferences. She has been a guest lecturer at the MSc. in Finance programme at the University of Hong Kong and is a member of LexisNexis Consultant Editorial Board for Financial Services and the AIMA Regulatory Committee in Hong Kong.
Ms. Godfrey’s recent engagements include:
- advising on a Hong Kong-based fund on its investments in a variety of hedge funds
- advising on the spin-out of a proprietary hedge fund trading desk from a Japanese investment bank, including advice on the issuance of debt and equity interests in the new investment management entity, setting up a managed account arrangement, and the establishment of a master-feeder hedge fund structure
- advising a leading Middle East investment bank as sponsor and Egyptian investment adviser to a fund dedicated to investing in infrastructure projects by a number of supranational and government organizations in the Mediterranean area
- advising a Hong Kong-based fund of hedge funds manager on an internal restructuring
- advised a large conglomerate on the establishment of a fund to invest in Bordeaux and Burgundy wines targeted at mainland Chinese investors
- advising a Cayman Islands hedge fund and a number of investment management entities on their respective de-registrations and liquidations involving a number of Hong Kong and Cayman Islands legal and regulatory issues
- representing a Swiss investment manager on the acquisition of a Hong Kong-based investment manager and on an associated regulatory issue
- advising a Swiss private bank on fund distribution issues in Hong Kong
- advising a Hong Kong-based manager on the establishment of a long-only China fund
- advising on the acquisition of a fund of funds manager on behalf of a Hong Kong-based investment management company
- advising a major European institution on the establishment of umbrella unit trusts for offer to qualified institutional investors in Japan and the structuring of these funds using an underlining note program for Japanese regulatory reasons
- advising a Dubai-based real estate investment manager on the establishment of two real estate investment trusts for offer to Middle Eastern institutional investors
- advising a Malaysian bank on the establishment and on-going maintenance of a private equity fund investing in Southeast Asia
- advising a Japan-based hedge fund manager on the establishment and on-going maintenance of a suite of hedge funds (including non-U.S. feeder funds, U.S. feeder funds and master funds) investing in Japanese equities
- advising a number of large Japan and Hong Kong-based managers on side-pocketing and restructuring arrangements in circumstances where underlying assets had become highly illiquid
- advising a significant Japanese institution in relation to derivatives products
- advising a Singapore-based investment manager on the establishment of a commodity fund and the listing of a share class on the Irish Stock Exchange
- advising a Singapore-based manager on the establishment of an Asian macro fund
- advising an Asia-based manager on the establishment of a fund of private equity funds
- advising a Japan-based manager on the establishment of numerous Cayman Islands licensed funds for offer to the retail public in Japan
- advising an Asia-based manager on the establishment of approximately 15 investment funds, each established as a unit trust or master-feeder structure investing in Japanese equities or other collective investment schemes and offered to qualified institutional investors and on a private placement basis in Japan.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Asia Pacific, Investment Funds (International Firms) – China, notable practitioner, 2017
- Chambers Asia Pacific, Investment Funds - Hedge Funds, 2011–2017
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Investment Funds, 2013–2017
- IFLR1000, Investment Funds, 2012–2017, noted as a Leading Lawyer, 2017
- Chambers Global, Investment Funds: Hedge Funds, 2014 – 2017
- Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards, Best in Banking and Finance, 2015
- The Hedge Fund Journal, 50 Leading Women in Hedge Funds, 2015
- Law Society of Ireland and Paris Chamber of Commerce, Legal French, post-graduate diploma, 2003–2004
- Law Society of Ireland, Applied Finance Law, post-graduate diploma, 2002–2003.
- “Emerging Managers: an endangered species”, Cayman Islands, 2017
- “Anticipated Regulatory Developments for Hedge Funds: 2017 & Beyond, Hong Kong & Singapore, 2017
- “Latest insights from our Global Family Office Report 2016”, Hong Kong, 2016
- “Hedge Funds: Risk, Regulation and Returns”, Hong Kong, 2016
- “Governance Challenge for Funds” Offshore Funds Conference, Hong Kong, 2016
- “AIFMD Panel”, Offshore Funds Conference 2015, Hong Kong, 2015
- “Raising Capital Abroad: Capital Introduction Perspectives and Legal Considerations,” Goldman Sachs 10thAnnual Asian Hedge Fund Leaders Conference, Hong Kong, 2015
- “Living with a Regulatory Creep,” The Hedge Fund Intelligence Asia Forum, Hong Kong, 2015
- “Liquid Alternatives: Exploring Product Diversification through 40 Act and UCITS against the backdrop of AIFMD,” Credit Suisse 7thAnnual Asia Pacific Prime Services Hedge Fund Leadership Conference, Hong Kong, 2015
- “Evaluating the Role of General Counsel within the Alternatives Space: An Open Conversation with Senior Women Practitioners,” 100WHF event hosted by PwC, Hong Kong, 2015
- “Asia Passporting: The End of UCITS?,” Institutional Investor Legal Forum 2014 Roundtable, London, 2014
- “Hong Kong Regulatory Update,” Boston, 2013
- “Private Equity Funds and Hedge Funds in Asia—A Comparison,” Hong Kong, 2013
- “Terms of Engagement: Private Equity Funds v. Hedge Funds,” Hong Kong, 2013
- K&C 4th PE Academy-Seoul, 2013
- “The AIFM Directive — Implications for Marketing in the EU, Goldman Sachs Prime Brokerage,” Hong Kong, 2013
- “The AIFM Directive — Implications for Asian Hedge Fund Managers,” Deutsche Bank, Hong Kong, 2013