Charles R. Gibbs has handled complex financial restructurings, both in chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings, for over 35 years.
Practice & Background
Mr. Gibbs regularly serves as counsel to distressed companies, as well as secured lenders, servicers of commercial mortgage securitized trusts, bondholders and trade creditors, and acquirers of distressed assets. Mr. Gibbs has particular experience in the real estate and oil and gas industries, and his restructuring engagements often involve multijurisdictional and cross-border matters.
Mr. Gibbs received his B.A. from Duke University in 1974 and both his M.B.A. and J.D. in 1978 from Southern Methodist University, where he was lead articles editor of the SMU Law Review, f/k/a Southwestern LawJournal. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the American Bar Association and the Dallas Bar Association. Mr. Gibbs is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
Mr. Gibbs lectures frequently on various bankruptcy and creditors rights topics.
Mr. Gibbs is a past member of Akin Gump’s Management Committee (2006 - 2015) and currently serves as the chair of Akin Gump’s Partnership Admissions Committee.
Mr. Gibbs’ recent engagements include:
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of SandRidge Energy, Inc.
- debtor’s counsel – Quicksilver Resources, Inc., et al.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Goodrich Petroleum Corporation
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of LandAmerica 1031 Exchange Services Inc.
- the Joint Official Liquidators of Security Capital, Ltd in its chapter 15 case and in the chapter 11 cases of Sam and Caroline Wyly
- ad Hoc Group of Secured Noteholders – Milagro, Inc., et al.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors – BPZ Energy, Inc., et al.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors - James River Coal Co., et al.
- the Official Committee of Equity Security Holders - Seahawk Drilling, Inc., et al.
- the Official Committee of Noteholders of R.E. Loans, LLC, et al.
- DIP Lender’s counsel – Global Geophysical Services Inc.
- debtor’s counsel - Edge Petroleum Corporation, et al.
- debtor’s counsel - Foothills Texas, Inc., et al.
- debtor’s counsel - Barnes Bay Development, Ltd.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors – General Growth Properties, Inc., et al.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors - Chi Chi’s, Inc., et al.
- debtor’s counsel - Gadzooks, Inc.
- the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors – Burlington Industries, Inc.
- Board of Trustees of Dallas Opera Company (2010 – 2016)
- Board of Trustees of Knox College (2008 – 2015)
- Elder of Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church (2008 – 2014).
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America– Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy Litigation (2016)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2004 - 2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006 – 2016, 2018)
- The International Who’s Who of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers (2008 - 2016)
- Texas “Super Lawyer” (2005 - 2016)
- Legal 500 US recommends Charles Gibbs in Finance – Corporate Restructuring (including bankruptcy) (2016).