- Advises clients on oil and gas, coal, and other natural resource and infrastructure transactions.
- Focuses on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), project development and finance, service agreement suites and risk allocation schematics, procurement and anticorruption compliance matters.
David Sweeney’s experience spans the full natural resource value chain, from exploration, production, processing and infrastructure, to monetization. David has advised on mergers and acquisitions with an aggregate value of more than $65 billion, energy finance transactions with an aggregate value of more than $3 billion and operational matters in more than 30 countries. His work includes:
- Joint and unit operating agreements
- Joint development agreements
- Farmouts, farmins and other joint ventures and participation agreements
- Gathering, transportation, processing, production handling, and similar midstream and downstream agreements.
- Represented Apache Corporation in its joint venture agreement with an affiliate of Total S.A. to explore and develop Block 58 offshore Suriname. The deal included consideration of $5 billion of cash carry on Apache’s first $7.5 billion of appraisal and development capital and 25 percent cash carry on Apache’s appraisal and development capital beyond the first $7.5 billion, $100 million in cash upon completion, and $75 million on first oil production.
- Represented DEA Deutsche Erodel AG in its acquisition of Sierra Oil and Gas for more than $500 million, including the Zama discovery and six exploration and appraisal blocks, offshore Mexico.
- Advised Diamondback Energy Inc. in connection with its $9.2 billion all-stock merger with Energen Corporation.
- Advised Stone Energy Corporation in its $2.5 billion merger with Talos Energy Corporation.
- Represented Gulfport Energy Corporation in its $1.85 billion acquisition of SCOOP exploration and production assets from Vitruvian Exploration.
Public Service and Affiliations