Divya Thakur is a senior counsel in the firm’s investment management practice group and is an integral member of the firm’s India practice.
Practice & Background
Ms. Thakur assists both established and first-time fund sponsors and managers in formation of a broad range of investment funds, including hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds and other structured fund products. Her practice includes advising clients in structuring their business and ongoing operational, management and compliance issues. She has represented a variety of clients, including sovereign wealth funds; financial institutions; investment banks; multinational companies; and U.S., European and Asian companies.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Ms. Thakur worked with leading law firms in India and Singapore, where she advised on transactions involving investment funds, private equity, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, as well as banking and finance matters.
Ms. Thakur’s notable engagements include representing:
- one of India’s largest infrastructure finance intermediaries in the structuring, organization and formation of its private-equity style fund
- one of India’s oldest and largest engineering and construction conglomerates in organization and fundraising for a private equity fund focused on the Indian infrastructure sector
- a prominent sovereign wealth fund in negotiating its investments in a number of investment fund products
- an international fund manager in establishment of its technology-focused venture capital fund investing in Asia and the United States
- one of the world’s largest, global, private equity fund managers in organizing its regulatory compliance and management program in Asia
- various hedge funds and their managers in organizing and establishing their funds in compliance with U.S. securities and commodities law.
Awards & Accolades
- Recommended in The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2016 for Investment Funds: Foreign Firms