- Represents financial institutions, public and private companies and their senior executives, and asset management and private equity firms in government investigations, white collar criminal and regulatory defense matters, internal investigations and complex commercial litigation.
- Spent a decade as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York, where he was Co-Chief of the Complex Frauds and Cybercrime Unit, and a member of the Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force.
- Conducted 11 jury trials, including complex white collar cases. Briefed and/or argued 14 appeals.
Ian represents individuals, financial institutions and public and private companies in government investigations, white collar criminal and regulatory defense matters, internal investigations and complex commercial litigation.
- Supervised the investigation into OneCoin, a $1 billion cryptocurrency Ponzi scheme, including the trial conviction of an attorney who laundered $400 million in OneCoin proceeds.*
- Led a trial resulting in a conviction in U.S. v. Stefan Lumiere. The case involved a complex scheme to inflate the value of illiquid bonds the defendant traded at his hedge fund.*
- Investigated and prosecuted the defendants in U.S. v. Gary Tanner, et al. This case involved a complex kickback scheme in which the defendants defrauded Valeant of approximately $10 million.*
- Led a trial resulting in a conviction in U.S. v. Richard Chichakli. The defendant was convicted of violating economic sanctions law, money laundering and wire fraud.*
*Matters handled prior to joining Akin Gump.
Public Service and Affiliations