Jenny Arlington (née Grozdanova) is a member of the international arbitration and commercial litigation practice, with wide experience in various forms of dispute resolution, including multijurisdictional, offshore and Russia-related matters. She is ranked as a UK-based foreign expert in dispute resolution matters relating to Russia in Chambers Global 2017- 2014.
Practice & Background
Ms. Arlington represents a variety of clients, including in the energy and telecoms industries, in arbitration proceedings under most of the main arbitral rules.
Ms. Arlington advises clients in relation to commercial disputes in the English High Court, and, in conjunction with local counsel, in offshore jurisdictions including the Isle of Man and the British Virgin Islands.
Ms. Arlington’s practice also includes advising on international trade and global investigations and compliance matters, in particular in relation to EU law, sanctions and export controls.
Ms. Arlington received her LL.B. from Bristol University in 2006 and her LL.M. in European Union Law from Leuven University in 2007. She qualified as a solicitor in 2010.
Ms. Arlington’s recent engagements include:
- acting for a leading business group with diverse investments, headquartered in Russia, in a multimillion commercial litigation in the British Virgin Islands
- acted for a CIS telecoms company concerning a US$861 million litigation in the Isle of Man involving allegations of fraud and misappropriation of assets
- acted for a Russian oil and gas independent listed on AIM, in a complex and hard-fought LCIA arbitration in London concerning certain disputed debts
- acted in a Commercial Court, and subsequently a Technology & Construction Court, litigation concerning the drilling of an exploratory well offshore West Africa, which involved highly complex technical issues concerning drilling operations
- acted for VimpelCom in successfully defending a Commercial Court injunction (and related ad hoc arbitration) which would have prevented its US$20 billion acquisition of Wind Telecom from proceeding in early 2011; the successful defense allowed for the completion of a transformative acquisition for the client, making it the sixth biggest mobile telecoms company in the world
- advising a global investment fund regarding disputes in relation to its exit from several investment vehicles holding extractive industries assets in Central Africa
- acted for Petrobras in one of the biggest oil and gas related cases currently before the English Court; this is a long-running US$500 million dispute concerning the upgrade of the World’s largest production platform, P36, and has been aptly described as “the World’s largest oil platform dispute” (The Times, 1 June 2004)
- advising a major Russian energy company in relation to a dispute with a European state concerning discrimination and expropriation of a US$2.65 billion inward investment in the energy sector, including advice as to proposed BIT arbitration proceedings
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Global 2017: “Jenny Arlington of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld is noted for her expertise in energy-related disputes, especially those involving Russian elements.”
- Chambers Global 2016: “Jenny Arlington of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has substantial experience representing Russian parties in heavyweight cross-border disputes. She is fluent in Russian, Bulgarian and German.”
- Chambers Global 2015: Jenny Grozdanova is ranked as a UK-based foreign expert in dispute resolution matters relating to Russia, who regularly advises Russian clients on a range of litigation and arbitration disputes. Sources note her "precision, attention to detail and quality advice."
- Chambers Global 2014: Jenny Grozdanova is ranked as a UK-based foreign expert in dispute resolution matters relating to Russia. She “has acted for numerous big-name Russian clients, as part of a London unit that complements the work of the firm in Moscow. She is fluent in English, Russian and Bulgarian.”
- Chambers Global 2014: Jenny Grozdanova is recognised in the Russia Dispute Resolution – Desks Based Abroad category.