- Specializes in advising multinational companies, investment funds and governments on matters relating to U.S. sanctions, export controls and anticorruption laws.
- Significant experience advising clients on internal investigations, licensing and compliance enhancements.
Johann Strauss advises clients on a wide range of issues involving economic sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), trade controls under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and anticorruption laws under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Johann was previously based in Akin Gump’s Dubai office where he specialized in advising non-U.S. companies on the application of U.S. trade controls on international business operations.
- Provided day-to-day counsel to U.S. and non-U.S. companies on compliance with U.S. sanctions, export control and antibribery/anticorruption laws.
- Advised technology and telecommunication companies on the impact of recent U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Entity List designations, end-use/end-user controls and deemed export issues.
- Negotiated compliance terms on high-value loan facilities and other lending agreements involving major financial institutions and international development banks.
- Drafted and submitted license applications and requests for guidance to U.S. regulators on behalf of clients affected by U.S. sanctions and export controls.
- Led internal compliance investigations on sanctions, export control and anticorruption violations, and submit disclosures of potential violations to U.S. regulators.