Practice & Background
Mark Dawkins is the head of the firm’s London Disputes Group. He has practised in the City of London for more than 25 years and during that time has accumulated experience in a broad range of complex, high value disputes and investigations. Mr. Dawkins has handled cases across Europe, the Middle East and Asia and regularly leads multinational teams on cross-border cases as well as being called upon to advise on novel or challenging substantive and strategic issues.
Mr. Dawkins works closely with the firm’s financial restructuring practice and frequently advises on investor remedies in a wide range of distressed restructuring situations.
Mr. Dawkins is recognized as a leader in his field by Chambers UK, Legal 500, Legal Experts and Who’s Who Legal.
He is a member of The City of London Law Society and The City of London Solicitors’ Company.
Mr. Dawkins advises a number of hedge funds, private equity funds and other investment management institutions on a wide range of contentious matters. Recent examples include advising:
- a junior creditor in litigation with senior creditors over the interpretation of the waterfall provisions in a suite of CLO documents
- funds on the structure and merits of litigation financing opportunities in the United States and in Europe
- distressed investors on litigation and recovery strategies in relation to holdings of Eurozone sovereign debt
- an investment fund on the termination of an LMA debt trade following a repudiatory breach by the counterparty
Insolvency, Restructuring and Asset Recovery
Mr. Dawkins’ recent and current experience includes advising:
- approximately 80 financial institutions, who together comprise all the bondholder creditors of the three collapsed Icelandic banks, (which together comprise the world’s second largest insolvency after Lehman) on litigation and recovery issues arising from the Icelandic winding-up proceedings
- a group of international creditors on litigation, asset-tracing and enforcement strategy across Europe following the default by a major Spanish construction group
- a bondholder trustee on potential litigation across numerous jurisdictions following the discovery of a suspected fraudulent valuation of a ship
- a major creditor on disputed recoveries from LBIE
Fraud and Investigations
Mr. Dawkins has extensive experience advising companies, banks and senior executives who have found themselves caught up in a wide range of investigations, fraud and suspected wrongdoing. Many of these investigations are privately commissioned and so stay out of the public eye.
Mr. Dawkins has represented numerous banks, broker-dealers and other intermediaries on a wide range of mis-selling claims, structured products disputes and inter-bank disputes.
Corporate and Shareholder Disputes
Mr. Dawkins also has extensive experience advising corporations, particularly on M&A litigation, warranty disputes and post-completion accounting disputes, as well as disputes amongst shareholders.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers UK, Banking Litigation
- Legal 500, Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail and Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers UK, Litigation
- “Goldacre and Luminar: Landlords Decide to Fight Back,” Butterworths’ Insolvency Litigation Conference, London, November 2013