Practice & Background
Matthew Puhar focuses on public and private cross-border corporate, corporate finance, debt and equity investment and restructuring transactions. He has particular experience in debt and equity investment deals, M&A, joint ventures, flotations and investment funds.
Mr. Puhar is recognized by Chambers Asia, Chambers Global and IFLR 1000 as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A.
Qualified in both Hong Kong and England and Wales, Mr. Puhar has significant experience advising on sophisticated cross-border transactions in Asia.
Mr. Puhar’s recent engagements include:
- representing a global investment fund on its investment in and restructuring of Indian Foreign Currency Convertible Bonds (FCCBs)
- representing a global private investment firm on its equity acquisition and joint venture with the fifth largest bank (by market capitalization) in Southeast Asia in respect of a private equity funds management business
- representing a global investment manager on the acquisition of a Hong Kong-based investment manager
- representing a global investment fund, as investor, in a pre-IPO investment in the shares of a major pre-IPO PRC state-owned enterprise
- representing a pan-Asian investment group on its investment in the redeemable convertible bonds issued by a listed PRC pharmaceutical company
- representing a pan-Asian investment group on its pre-IPO investment in the equity of a Hong Kong-based PRC mining company
- advising an international hedge fund on its rights and remedies as a lender in a Korean real estate financing transaction, including advising on Korean court auction sale processes, a potential restructuring, security issues, potential challenges to other creditors' claims and claims against European-domiciled guarantors
- representing a global investment fund on its offshore PRC debt financings of real estate projects
- representing a global hedge fund in respect of enforcement and restructuring issues in relation to distressed Asian FCCBs
- representing a global hedge fund concerning a proposed purchase and subsequent restructuring of distressed Indonesian loan notes
- representing a global hedge fund on offshore PRC credit transactions
- representing a global hedge fund on distressed special situations, credit and equity investments in the Philippines, India, Korea and Indonesia
- representing China Central Properties Limited on its privatization and convertible bond restructuring
- representing an equity investor on a private equity backed MBI
- representing bidders and targets on public company takeovers and advising on post-acquisition restructurings of the target groups
- representing Hong Kong quoted issuers on group restructurings, international equity issues, warrant issues, notifiable transactions, and HKSE and SFC issues
- regulating UK public company takeovers while seconded to the UK Takeover Panel
- representing nomads, brokers and companies on numerous AIM IPOs and secondary offerings
- representing numerous business sales and acquisitions for various clients
- representing investors and corporates on shareholder activism and regulatory issues.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Asia, Corporate M&A, 2013 and 2015
- Chambers Global, Corporate/M&A, 2013–2015
- IFLR 1000, Corporate/M&A, 2014–2017.