Molly E. Whitman’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts.
Practice & Background
Ms. Whitman has experience representing companies in a wide range of commercial disputes. These representations often involve contract, business tort and employment matters. Ms. Whitman is also active in the firm’s pro bono practice and has been honored by the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas.
Ms. Whitman received her B.A. summa cum laude in English from the College of the Holy Cross in 2008. She received her J.D. magna cum laude in 2013 from Southern Methodist University, where she was honored as a member of the Order of the Coif. While in law school, Ms. Whitman served as the associate managing editor for the SMU Law Review Association and was published twice in the SMU Law Review. She also represented children as a guardian ad litem in matters before the Dallas Family Court and served as an intern for the United States Attorney’s Office in Dallas.
Ms. Whitman’s representative matters include:
- defending a publicly traded company in multiple products liability actions, including playing a key role in securing dismissal and/or favorable settlement across several cases in various jurisdictions
- drafting, arguing, and winning a motion for summary judgment in Texas state court on behalf of a leading insurance provider, and achieving affirmation of the trial court’s decision after briefing the appellate response in the 5thCourt of Appeals, Dallas, Texas
- representing a leading telecommunications services company in its proposed acquisition of a major satellite television provider, including providing counseling on premerger integration planning and antitrust compliance
- representing a commercial loan special servicer in complex litigation matters including contract disputes
- representing a national nonprofit organization in defense of an Americans with Disabilities Act claim
- assisting a manufacturer in defense of a qui tam claim brought under the federal False Claims Act
- advocating for several pro bono clients in special immigration matters, including successfully obtaining asylum, U-Visa and SIJS immigration status.
Ms. Whitman’s community and bar association activities include being:
- Vice Chair, LGBT Firm Resource Group 2018
- Member, National LGBT Bar Association Membership Committee
- Marketing Chair, Dallas LGBT Bar Association (formerly known as Dallas Gay & Lesbian Bar Association)
- Associate, Higginbotham Inn of Court
- Member, Lambda Legal Dallas Leadership Committee
- Member, Akin Gump’s Diversity Committee
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Young Lawyers Association
Awards & Accolades
- Recipient, National LGBT Bar Association “Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40” Award, 2018
- Presenter, “The Evolving Interpretation of Title VII and What It Means for Your LGBT Employees,” Akin Gump In-House Counsel CLE Series, Dallas, TX, June 2018