Practice & Background
Paul Greening’s practice focuses on international energy, utilities and infrastructure projects, with specific emphasis on energy-related, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, oil and gas contracts (including natural gas and LNG sale and purchase agreements), project development (with significant expertise in LNG project development) and associated maritime law advice.
Mr. Greening’s recent engagements include advising:
- Reliance Industries in the formation of a 50:50 gas marketing joint venture for sourcing and marketing natural gas (including from LNG), and developing an LNG and natural gas infrastructure in India
- a major Indian oil and gas company responding to various CAG audit requests in respect of their offshore India operations
- a major Indian oil and gas company in a review of their various LNG offtake arrangements
- a large independent oil and gas company in connection with the structuring of common facilities usage arrangements for a large African LNG project
- a major European gas company in connection with its further development and negotiation of gas transportation, gas sales and terminal use arrangements in SE Asia
- an independent exploration and production company in connection with the development of its upstream gas assets in offshore Malaysia, including negotiation of gas sales arrangements into a proposed FLNG facility
- a project developer in connection with the development of a floating LNG liquefaction facility project in Canada
- a major Australian gas company as a joint venture partner in the GLNG LNG project in Queensland, Australia, including drafting the agreement for development of the project, reviewing and commenting on EPC arrangements and advising on the sell-down of interests to joint venture partners
- a project developer in connection with the development of an offshore floating LNG storage and regasification facility project in Chile, including the drafting and negotiation of a charter agreement and terminal services arrangements
- a U.S.-based oil and gas client with the structuring of an LNG export project in British Columbia, including negotiation of selldown and joint venture arrangements
- a major U.K. gas company with the joint venture structuring of its proposed Gulf of Mexico-based LNG export project
- a major U.K. gas company with the structuring of its LNG marketing arrangements into South America, and negotiation of LNG sale and purchase agreements.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- a Middle East based fund in its corporate acquisition of interests in a US based mining group
- a Chinese SOE in connection with its proposed acquisition of a London-listed oil and gas company
- a major Australia-based oil and gas company in its multibillion-dollar acquisition of LNG project interests and upstream interests in Australia and Canada
- a China-based private equity fund in connection with its acquisition of a minority interest in a company with upstream interests in sub-Saharan Africa and negotiation of a marketing services agreement establishing a framework to jointly develop LNG export projects in Africa
- a U.S.-based private equity fund on its proposed acquisition of a major downstream refining and distribution business in Australia
- a Brazilian upstream company in connection with its proposed selldown of onshore and offshore interests
- Zhenhua Oil & Gas in its acquisition of upstream interests in Egypt from Vegas Oil & Gas in 2014
- a leading U.S.-based private equity fund in its proposed acquisition of upstream interests in Indonesia
- a major China SOE in its acquisition of a major stake in a European company’s global oil and gas exploration and production business
- a major China SOE in its bid for the global LNG portfolio of a major European oil and gas company.
Maritime and Shipping
- a major LNG project developer on the structuring of their potential LNG shipping arrangements into India
- a major international shipping company with their review of LNG project agreements and charter arrangements in the context of their proposed tender to supply vessels to a major US LNG export project
- a major Australian gas company in connection with proposed LNG shipping arrangements for sales of LNG (on an ex-ship basis) from its GLNG LNG project into Southeast Asia
- a U.S. exploration and production company in connection with an FPSO project offshore Western Africa, including drafting a full suite of EPC and O&M contracts as part of the tender package
- a U.S.-based private equity fund on its proposed acquisition of interests in a major developer of LNG transportation, floating regasification and storage, and floating LNG production infrastructure
- a major Australian gas company in connection with a review of new build LNG ship time charter parties in respect of proposed LNG shipping arrangements for sales of LNG from the PNG LNG project.