Reginald D. Steer is a member of the firm’s litigation practice, focusing primarily on cases involving claims of antitrust violations, contract disputes, fraudulent business practices, unfair competition and intellectual property disputes.
Practice & Background
Mr. Steer is a broadly experienced trial lawyer who defends and prosecutes complex cases and provides antitrust advice to the firm’s clients. He is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Steer has been a contributor to the ABA Antitrust Section’s Rule of Reason Monograph, has taught in trial skills programs and has taught on the subject of Robinson-Patman law.
Mr. Steer received his B.A. in 1966 and his J.D. cum laude in 1969 from the University of Minnesota, where he was a member of the Law Review. He served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps from 1969 to 1973.
Mr. Steer has successfully tried numerous cases to verdict; two of the biggest cases were a defense verdict for a major oil company in a 12-week jury trial in California state court of a class action involving service station operators who claimed $2.75 billion for breach of contract, misrepresentation and violation of state unfair practices law, and a 10-week jury trial for a client claiming insurance coverage in a complex, multi-policy case that resulted in a large award to his client.
Mr. Steer’s significant engagements have included:
- defending a U.K.-based hedge fund in a former fund manager’s $100 million action for breach of contract and defamation
- defending a Korean steel company and its U.S. subsidiary in an antitrust case
- defending a national bookstore chain in a series of highly publicized federal antitrust price discrimination cases and a consumer class action challenging, as price-fixing, an agreement concerning the operation of the client’s Web site
- defending a manufacturer of the building material oriented strand board in nationwide class actions alleging conspiracy to restrict supply and fix prices
- defending an international oil company’s dual distribution system for selling gasoline
- defending multiple cases challenging clients’ product distribution policies
- defending a nitrogen fertilizer manufacturer against price-fixing claims
- defending a client accused of price-fixing in the market for natural gas
- defending a client accused of conspiring to fix the price of cement
- defending a product liability case against a client accused of selling defective water heaters
- defending a civil RICO action concerning working conditions in Saipan garment factories
- defending disputes concerning the limitations on information that credit card receipts may contain
- litigating a variety of intellectual property, contract and trade secret actions.
Awards & Accolades
Mr. Steer is listed in the peer-review survey Northern California Super Lawyers, in Who’s Who in the World and in Who’s Who Legal:California
- PLI panel on “Pretrial Practice 2014,” speaking on the subjects of preliminary relief, summary judgment and discovery, June 2014.