Robert M. Griffin heads the investment management practice group in Singapore, focusing primarily on the organization and operation of private equity funds, hedge funds and other alternative investment funds, including in the areas of real estate, distressed debt, emerging markets and venture capital.
Practice & Background
Mr. Griffin regularly advises investment fund managers both in the United States and internationally on structuring investment fund complexes, conducting private placements and compliance with various regulatory regimes. He also assists clients in negotiating with investors and negotiating and drafting governing documents for fund management entities. He has extensive experience in the laws and regulations applicable to private investment funds in the United States, England, Singapore and other jurisdictions, and regularly counsels financial institutions and other fund sponsors regarding securities law compliance and other corporate matters.
Mr. Griffin received his B.A. cum laude in 1992 from the University of Maryland. He received his M.A. in 1997 and his J.D. in 2000 from the University of Texas, where he was technical editor of The American Journal of Criminal Law from 1998 to 2000.
Mr. Griffin was recognized as one of the world’s leading private fund lawyers by Who’s Who Legal 100, 2015 - 2017. He is also ranked as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific (Investment Funds: International – Singapore), where he is described as having “deep expertise in various alternative investment structures.”
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Griffin served in the U.S. Air Force and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in 1995 for support to United Nations operations in the Balkans. He received the Distinguished Graduate Award, U.S.A.F. Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, in 1991.
Mr. Griffin’s recent engagements include the representation of:
- a Pakistan-based manager in the structuring, organization regulatory compliance and fund-raising for a private equity fund focused on SME investments
- an Indian-based manager in the structuring, organization, regulatory compliance and fund-raising for a closed-ended social impact fund
- a Singapore-based manager in the formation of its new management business and its first Asian-focused venture capital fund
- one of the world’s largest global private equity fund managers in the structuring, organization, regulatory compliance and fund-raising for a private equity-style fund based in Singapore and investing in Asian mezzanine debt
- a U.A.E. sovereign wealth fund in negotiating their investments in a number of investment fund products
- a global private equity fund manager in the structuring, organization, regulatory compliance and fund-raising for a private equity-style fund based in Singapore and investing in Indian real estate
- one of the industry’s largest hedge funds on compliance with the new Dodd-Frank regulatory regime
- a university endowment with respect to its regulatory compliance program.
Mr. Griffin served as Executive Director of the Texas Hedge Fund Association.
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Asia Pacific, Investment Funds: International 2017