Sebastian Rice is the partner in charge of the London office. Mr. Rice’s practice focuses on providing advice on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets and private equity transactions. He is also partner in charge of the Hong Kong office.
Practice & Background
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Rice spent four years at an international law firm, where he acted on a large number of substantial corporate deals. Mr. Rice also worked in-house at 3i Group plc, the private equity and venture capital house, as a legal advisor to its European investment teams.
Mr. Rice regularly speaks at conferences in the UK, Russia and other republics of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Mr. Rice’s recent engagements include representing:
- VEON in relation to the $2.6 billion disposal by its Egyptian-listed subsidiary Global Telecom Holding (GTH) of a 51 percent stake in Orascom Telecom Algérie, the leading Algerian mobile telecommunication operator to the Algerian National Investment Fund
- VEON on its $27.5 billion combination with WIND TELECOM S.p.A., to create the world’s sixth largest mobile telecommunications provider by number of subscribers
- UFG Private Equity in connection with its acquisition and disposal of one of the largest Russian theatre operators, Rising Star Media, from National Amusements, Inc.
- LUKOIL in its $297.5 million acquisition of 11% in the joint venture from Italy’s ERG to operate the ISAB refining complex in Priolo of Sicily
- Da Vinci CIS Private Growth Fund on its admission to trade on the Specialist Fund Market of the LSE
- the underwriters on Liberty International Acquisition Company’s $800 million listing on Euronext
- Apollo on its investment of approximately $350 Million in Indian steel pipes major, Welspun Corp Limited and its group company Welspun Maxsteel Limited
- Riverstone Holdings LLC, on the acquisition of Seajacks International Ltd. for $207 million and the subsequent disposal of Seajacks, a UK based company which owns and operates self-propelled jack up vessels
Awards & Accolades
- Legal 500 UK recommends Mr. Rice within Equity Capital Markets, M&A: Upper Mid-Market and Premium Deals and Private Equity: Transactions. Legal 500 EMEA recommends him for TMT, Capital Markets and in the Africa category.
- Chambers Global recognizes Mr. Rice as an Expert Based Abroad within Capital Markets and Corporate/M&A for Russia and a Foreign Expert for Capital Markets and Corporate/M&A in the UK.
- Best Lawyers in Russia recognizes Mr. Rice as being among the best within Capital Markets, Corporate and Oil & Gas Law