Legal 500 Recognizes Akin Gump Lawyers and Practices in the UK
(London) – Akin Gump has been recognized in The Legal 500 United Kingdom 2019 guide, The Legal 500’s annual, independent guide that ranks individual law firm practices and lawyers and provides editorial analysis of law firms operating in the United Kingdom.
In the category of Finance, Akin Gump is ranked for the fifth straight year as a top-tier firm for corporate restructuring and insolvency. The 12-partner team, with “‘top-drawer knowledge and experience’” is noted as “‘absolutely at the top of its game’” and “remains the standout practice in the market on behalf of bondholders engaged in complex international restructurings.”
Practice co-heads James Roome and Barry Russell, both ranked as Leading Individuals and in Legal 500’s Hall of Fame, are described, respectively, as “‘commercial and thoughtful’” and “‘a market leader on private placement cross-border restructurings.’” Other recommended partners include Tom Bannister (“‘depth of knowledge in several areas on the law’”), James Terry (“‘highly commercial and strategic’”), Liz Osborne (“‘energetic and pragmatic’”), and Neil Devaney (“‘excellent’”) and Emma Simmonds.
Other areas in Finance in which Akin Gump is ranked include:
- Bank Lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Partner Robert Aulsebrook (praised for his “‘responsiveness and business acumen’”) is recommended.
- Debt capital markets
- Emerging markets
- Aulsebrook is noted as “‘excellent - he has a thorough knowledge of the relevant products, good business and quick response times.’”
- Counsel Jonathan Pico is listed as a Next Generation Lawyer.
- Akin Gump is noted for a “highly effective practice that handles bespoke and complex securitisation transactions.”
- Smith and partner Sam Brodie are recommended.
For corporate and commercial work, Akin Gump is ranked in the following practice areas:
- Corporate tax
- EU & competition
- Akin Gump is touted for its “‘exceptional’” and “‘extremely responsive’” team that “‘provides a very high level of service, with quick response times, strong industry knowledge and deep bench strength.’”
- Partner Davina Garrod, who is ranked as a Leading Individual, is recommended and praised for being “‘extremely responsive and pragmatic’” and noted for her “‘encyclopædic knowledge of the Competition and Markets Authority.’” Partner Daniel Walsh is also recommended.
- Counsel Scott Pettifor is listed as a Next Generation Lawyer.
- Associates Alaric Green and Sebastian Casselbrant-Multala are also recommended.
- Financial services (contentious and non-contentious/regulatory)
- Akin Gump is “‘incredibly knowledgeable about financial market regulations’” and “has an excellent pedigree in the sector.”
- Partner Helen Marshall is listed as a Leading Individual, and Counsel Ezra Zahabi, who is “‘responsive and thorough’” and “‘delivers a high-class work product’” is listed as a Next Generation Lawyer.
- M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £250m+
- Akin Gump provides “‘an excellent level of service’” with “‘a high level of legal and industry knowledge.’”
- Partners and co-heads Mr. Walsh and Sebastian Rice are both recommended.
- Partners Harry Keegan and the “‘calm and considered’” Vance Chapman, who has “led on some of the practice’s most striking recent transactions,” and counsel Mr. Pico are also recommended.
- Private equity: transactions (Large-cap)
- Trade, WTO, anti-dumping, and customs
For dispute resolution, Akin Gump is ranked in the following practice areas:
- Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Akin Gump “‘provides an impeccable level of service through its deeply experienced and strong team,’” which is led by Mark Dawkins. Partners Richard Hornshaw, who is “‘deeply skilled, pays exceptional attention to detail and is an incredibly knowledgeable and experienced litigator’” and Kambiz Larizadeh are also recommended.
- Commercial litigation
- Akin Gump is “‘an excellent firm for all international commercial work.’” Messrs. Hornshaw, Dawkins and Larizadeh, the latter who is “‘very hands-on, and good with the detail,’” are recommended.
- Partner Justin Williams is ranked as a Leading Individual and is “a highly experienced and knowledgeable litigator who is adept at managing difficult cases.”
- Counsel Jenny Arlington and the “‘very impressive’” Fred Thorling are also highly rated.
- International arbitration
- This “‘excellent team’” includes key advisers such as the “‘very calm and helpful’” Mr. Williams, partner Hamish Lal, Mr. Larizadeh, Mr. Hornshaw and Ms. Arlington who are all recommended.
For investment fund formation and management, Akin Gump is ranked in the following practice areas:
- Hedge funds
- Private funds
For projects, energy and natural resources, Akin Gump is ranked in the following practice areas:
- Oil and gas
- Construction: contentious
- Lal is a Leading Individual, and is highly recommended and noted as “‘a standout litigator with an astute brain’” possessing “‘unparalleled legal knowledge.’”
For crime, fraud and licensing, Akin Gump is ranked in the following practice area:
- Fraud: civil
- Akin Gump is “adept at handling high-value, cross-border litigation and arbitration matters.”
- Larizadeh, who “heads the team” is “‘always on top of the details, has a very affable manner and has superb judgment,’” Mr. Williams—“‘extremely experienced and confident…is able to remain calm under pressure and has a very good rapport with clients’”—and Mr. Dawkins are recommended.
Founded in 1945, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
# # #